Winter Tire Care at Graff Chevrolet Okemos
Winter is arguably the most crucial time of the year to care for your vehicle’s tires to perform properly. Tires are one of the main components on your vehicle that can keep you safe on the slick, snowy roads. Before and during the winter season, it’s important to pay attention to the state of your current tires and to think about investing in winter tires. If you need tires installed, inspected, or rotated, winter tire care at Hank Graff Chevrolet Okemos is your best option.
The Importance of Winter Tires and Routine Tire Maintenance
The importance of tire maintenance, including inspection, rotation, and installation is well documented in extending the life of your tires, keeping your vehicle running optimally, and keeping you safe on the road. Because your tires are the connection of your vehicle to the road, winter tires and routine tire maintenance is extremely important.
It’s always a good idea to keep an eye on the wear of your vehicle’s tires so that you know your vehicle is prepared to stop on any road, but make a note that the type of tire matters, too. All-season tires may not be your safest option for Michigan’s winter season as they're not equipped to properly handle heavy snow and consistently low temperatures. Winter tires can elevate your safety because they include:
- Aggressive tread to reduce snow buildup
- Formulated rubber to remain flexible at low temps
- Deeper tread to better channel water and slush
Winter tires however are also proven to shorten braking times by 25% compared to all-season tires.. If you’re having trouble braking, or even driving in snow and other winter weather conditions, it might be time to invest in winter tires. We understand you may have questions about what tire options are available and which option makes sense for your budget, so please feel free to give us a call with any questions at 517-349-8300.
Winter Tire Maintenance Checklist
As the winter weather hits in Michigan, use this tire maintenance checklist to prepare for the roads:
- Check Tire Pressure – As the weather grows colder, your tire’s air pressure may decrease due the drop in temperature. This is because the oxygen molecules are contracting in the lower temperatures. Thankfully, you can just add a few psi of air pressure to each tire and they will be good as new. It is important to get in the habit of checking your tire air pressure often since proper air pressure in your tires allows for better fuel economy, smoother driving, and improved handling.
- Check Tire Tread – The tread on your tires is very important especially in slushy and wet road conditions. Appropriate tire tread helps your tires to grip to the road, keeping you in control of the vehicle, and helping you drive properly.
- Rotate Your Tires – Routine tire rotations assist in the process of maintaining your tires and allowing the tread to wear evenly. Your tires will likely experience irregular wear during the long winter months, but by regularly rotating them, your tires will last longer and keep you safer on the roads.
Schedule Winter Auto Service Online at Graff Chevrolet in Okemos, MI
If you’re concerned about the safety or condition of your tires, we recommend having a professional technician take a look. Our Certified Service Center is well equipped with an expert team of technicians who care about your safety and can help you choose the right winter tires, inspect the condition of your current tires, and rotate your tires for even wear. You can easily schedule winter auto service online at Graff Chevrolet in Okemos, MI. Don't hesitate to call us with any service questions at (517) 349-8300 or visit us at 1748 W. Grand River Ave, Okemos, MI 48864! We're proud to serve our neighbors in Haslett, Williamston, East Lansing, Dewitt, Okemos, and beyond.