Oil Changes and Routine Maintenance at Graff Chevrolet Okemos This Winter
Oil changes are one of the simplest routine maintenance items that can help extend the life of your vehicle. Oil changes are typically needed every 3,000-5,000 miles to ensure your engine's well being. They are especially important during the winter months because the extremely cold temperatures can make it harder for the oil in your vehicle to flow smoothly, especially if the oil is old or too worn. If you're not sure how to check the health of your oil, continue reading for signs your vehicle needs an oil change, or consult one of our professional technicians. We're here to help with all your auto service needs including oil changes and routine maintenance at Graff Chevrolet Okemos this winter!
Signs Your Vehicle Needs an Oil Change this Winter
Oil helps lubricate your engine's parts, remove heat from the engine, and keep your engine clean by removing and containing debris. All of this means oil is an essential part to your vehicle's health. How do you know when the oil needs to be changed? Luckily many new vehicles are equipped with driver alerts for routine maintenance needs; however if your vehicle is not equipped with that technology, an oil inspection is simple. When you bring your vehicle in to Graff Okemos, our technicians will determine your oil's health by checking it via the dipstick. Over time oil will also pick up pieces of dirt and debris from the engine, which will show as black and gritty oil on your dipstick. Aside from having your oil checked by a technician, you can look out for these common signs your vehicle needs an oil change this winter:
- Your oil warning light comes on – this normally means that you have low oil pressure in your engine and that the oil pump isn’t circulating enough oil to keep everything lubricated. If this warning light comes on, we recommend pulling off the road and turning the vehicle off as further driving could result in major engine damage. Give the vehicle some time to cool down and then bring it in for service as soon as you can.
- Your oil is black and gritty – If you didn’t know, oil is supposed to have a honey brown color. If your oil has turned black and gritty this indicates that is has particles and contaminants in it and will begin to gunk and clog up your engine.
- Your oil level is low on the dipstick – your dipstick measures the volume of oil in your engine. So if the oil mark level is low (close to the end of the dipstick) then your oil volume is low and in need of replenishing.
- Your engine is louder than usual – This is another sign that is not to be ignored. If your engine sounds louder than usual, this likely means that you have very little oil left in your engine to lubricate it and all of the moving parts are now rubbing and grinding against each other.
- You can’t remember your last oil change – Thankfully many auto service and auto change shops will put a sticker on the inside of your windshield that indicates the suggested date and mileage of your next oil change. If you don’t have one of those and aren’t sure then it’s probably time to come in for an oil change just to be safe. It’s better to get a quick, affordable oil change than have to suffer the cost of major engine damage.
Schedule Your Next Oil Change at Graff Chevrolet in Okemos, MI Online
If you know when your next oil change is due, or if you're experiencing any of the signs above, Graff Chevy in Okemos is here to help! Our Certified Service Center is equipped with knowledgeable and caring technicians who will change your oil and give your vehicle an inspection to ensure you're hitting the road in a safe vehicle. You can conveniently schedule your next oil change at Graff Chevrolet in Okemos, MI online, or by giving us a call at (517) 349-8300. With a scheduled appointment, we'll have your Winter Car Care and routine maintenance done in a cinch and have you back on the road in no time! Visit us at 1748 W. Grand River Ave, Okemos, MI 48864, where we gladly service our neighbors from Okemos, Haslett, Williamston, Dewitt, East Lansing, and beyond!