Spring Car Cleaning Tips & Tricks from Graff Chevrolet Okemos
Spring-cleaning is an important part of your vehicle’s maintenance and up-keep. After the long winter season, dirt, grime, and clutter can pile up on the exterior and interior of your vehicle. At Graff Chevrolet Okemos we want to make sure your vehicle is clean so that it’s not only ready for the warmer weather, but also so that it looks great for years to come. The interior can hold odors from trash, mud, salt, and other odors that have been brought into the car, while the exterior can collect dirt, gravel, and salt, which can cause long-term damage and rust. Below we have compiled some simple spring car cleaning tips to help you keep your car looking great by cleaning your car’s exterior and interior, and by learn how to scrub away winter weather stains.
Spring Cleaning Tips For Your Vehicle’s Exterior
First and foremost, a car wash not only makes your car look great, but also provides many benefits for your vehicle’s exterior. During the winter, your vehicle constantly drives through dirt, gravel, and salt build up. If these are left on your vehicle for long periods of time they can begin to erode your vehicle’s undercarriage and paint, which can contribute to exterior rust. A car wash is a simple solution to prevent any irreversible damage to your vehicle. Local automatic car washes are a great way to get in and out quickly. However, if you choose to wash your car at home we have a few tips to help you achieve that clean car look:
- Specialized car washing soap is recommended rather than regular dish detergent, which can be too coarse for vehicle paint.
- Use microfiber rags, soft sponges, or soft brushes. Avoid magic erasers on the vehicle exterior, as they're too abrasive.
- Dryer sheets are a great way to help get stubborn bugs and dirt off of your grill.
- The best way to remove tree sap is by using hot water and a soapy microfiber rag.
- Fully rinse your car and bucket before and after washing. Also, do your best to rinse the undercarriage.
- Rinse your tools and switch your bucket water often to prevent washing with old dirt.
- Wash your vehicle one side at a time so you can wash the soap away before it dries.
- Wax your vehicle! This is a step that’s often looked over, but it helps prevent dirt and grime from scratching your vehicle and can help with UV ray protection.
Spring Cleaning Tips For Your Vehicle’s Interior
Cleaning the interior of your car can seem like a pain, but that doesn’t have to be the case! As warmer weather arrives, you can use these spring-cleaning car tips to help make cleaning the interior of your vehicle easy and fun. Throw away the garbage, brush out the crumbs, and dust off your dash to give your next drive a nice refreshed feel. Cleaning your interior is just as important as cleaning your exterior. A cluttered vehicle can cause unnecessary problems in emergency situations or when you unexpectedly need to transport large items. Ultimately, we want you to be safe when you hit the road, but we also want to help you keep your car clean so you can protect your investment. Below you can check out some of our seasonal spring-cleaning tips for your vehicle interior:
- Clear clutter by removing trash and recyclables and disposing of them properly.
- Decide what items you really want to keep in the car. Switch out winter items for spring items, for example a shovel for a container of washer fluid.
- Use coffee filters to dust off your dashboard and plastic surfaces. Coffee filters and microfiber towels are great for gathering dust instead of spreading it.
- Wash the inside of your windows to get rid of streaking or finger prints. A vinegar-based solution with a semi wet microfiber rag is a great way to have a streak free shine.
- Take out all rugs and shake them to release any loose dirt and gravel.
- Vacuum your rugs, carpets, and seats to remove any crumbs or dirt.
- Air out your vehicle by driving with the windows down (weather permitting).
How to Get Salt Out of Your Vehicle’s Carpets and Mats
One of the most unsightly factors your car faces in the wintertime is the invasion of road salt into your vehicle’s interior. Even if you are careful with your shoes in the winter, the rock salt can still make it’s way into your vehicle and on to your carpet and mats. Salt can cause just as much damage to the interior of your vehicle as it can to the exterior. To prevent stains from road salt we recommend investing in plastic car mats, which are easily cleaned by a simple wipe down. However, if you have not invested in plastic mats, follow the steps below for how to remove salt from your vehicle’s carpets and mats:
- Fill an empty spray bottle with a 50/50 diluted water and vinegar solution.
- Spray solution on salt spots, enough to get the carpet slightly wet, and let sit for a few minutes.
- Use a clean dry rag to dab the wet spots. Don’t wipe or dab too hard, you want to have the dry rag absorb the stain that comes up.
- If the rag is wet and the stain remains you will want to switch it for a dry rag and continue the process.
- Once the spot is dry your stain should be gone. If the stain remains, repeat steps 2-4.
Schedule Seasonal Spring Auto Maintenance at Graff Chevrolet Okemos
Cleaning your vehicle’s exterior and interior can become an easy part of your routine if you stick to a seasonal maintenance schedule. If you’d rather not do it yourself, stop in to our Graff Chevrolet Okemos Service Center and we can help with all of your Spring Car Care, including seasonal oil changes, tire rotations, fluid inspections and more! Keeping up on routine seasonal maintenance will not only keep your vehicle looking great but it will also help extend the life of your investment. For more tips on how to continue vehicle upkeep, visit the Routine Maintenance section of our Service Page. Have questions on seasonal vehicle care? You can find more information on our FAQ page under the Service section of our website.
Hank Graff Okemos is are conveniently located a quarter mile from the Meridian Mall, serving the local Okemos area as well as our surrounding communities of Haslett, Williamston, East Lansing, and Mason. Stop by Graff Chevrolet Okemos at 1748 W Grand River Ave., Okemos, MI 48864. Schedule your seasonal maintenance appointment online or call us at (517) 349-8300!